Friday, October 7, 2011

Thinking Within a Thinking

For my First Formal Paper, I am planning on writing about the events Marjane faces in her life and its consequences. I will also introduce how I, as a reader, can relate to her story. In addition to that, I found many points that I did not agree with, and I think this can be my chance to state them. Furthermore, I will be using the Reader Response theory to construct the paper. For example, Marjane was a rebellious child with a cause. The government created religious laws, such as enforcing the veil and beating the chest for the martyrs. The teachers, in effect, enforced those laws because they were forced to do so by the government. Many professors are sometimes forced by their leaders or employers to enforce basic ruling, whether they agree or not. Moreover, they cannot show their opinion because they do not want to influence their students. Likewise, Marjane’s principle and teachers may have been forced to enforce the veil or beating of the chest.  Because they had to follow and enforce the law, Marjane thought of them as authority, and therefore she started disrespecting them by saying things such as “how dare you lie to us like that?”  I do not think that she should have disrespected the teachers at all. At end of the day, they are the teachers, and if one does not agree with the teachings they are provideing, he or she should consider attending a school that agrees with his or her opinions. In my various classes, the professors have said many things regarding the veil. At times, I did not agree with what they had to say, but I never disrespected them because everyone has the right to their opinions. I will also write against the concept of the veil that Marjane presented and use the articles, provided by Ms. Knapp, for support.  What is more, I will also use my blog “Personal and Objective” for further analysis.  

3 comments:

  1. Dear Kanza, I like your writing about Marjan's behavior. She was a rebellious girl on that time, because Iran was in war and the revolution was recently happened. Everyone was worried and thought about the critical situation which all people were involved. On the other hand, Marjan did not respect her teacher while she talked about the veil or hejab which many Muslim ladies believe it. The idea comes from our religion Islam; it has many logical reasons behind that, If any girl or lady want to know why ladies wear veil or cover their body. Ones should research in Islamic ideology and study holly book Quran to understand why ladies should wear the veil. I believe to wear a veil for ladies or girl should be optional. Marjan should respect her teacher and understand Iranian,s critical situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been fascinated with the VEIL. I totally respect everyone's culture but what's really killing me is whether someone is forced into wearing the veil or not. Other than that I can't wait to read your paper. Good luck. Oh it was nice finally meeting you on Friday even if we shared 2-3 words lol :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great discussion here! I agree Kanza that you should always respect your teachers:), but I suppose I am very biased when it comes to that topic! That said, I believe it is so important to also be given the opportunity to speak (or write about) what is on your mind, even if you disagree, but here again, I am being biased because I believe that education is not simply re-stating or memorizing what your teacher says. This is a philosophy that I embrace, but it isn't necessarily the prevailing philosophy on teaching/school/learning. I believe that education is a process of learning how to formulate your own informed ideas. Education, to me, is the process of examining a wide variety of topics, facts, ideas, opinions, concepts and ideologies with an open mind and figuring out for yourself, based on careful analysis, what you think the right answer is. Yes, there is never any justification for attacking anyone's ideas, but if a teacher is saying something that you don't agree with, never be afraid to respectfully disagree or ask questions. This exchange of ideas, this dialogue between teacher and students, in my mind, is what education is all about. I also really like how Joy has asked an important question here. This is not an easy to ask. Often it is the most difficult questions that provide the most meaningful answers. Asking questions is a great way to start writing an essay and a great way to keep learning.

    ReplyDelete